Thursday, October 6, 2011

Morgan's Blog Week 2

Tech Tip:
Ctrl+F
Using the shortcut Ctrl+F has saved me time and time again from wasting my time.  If I'm looking at a website or long paper and I just want to find one word or topic that is talked about in the document, I use this shortcut and it takes me to whereever that word is in the paper. This shortcut brings up a search-this-page feature. Its amazing! I would recommend it to everyone who uses a computer.
http://childrenasresearchers.wikispaces.com/file/view/ctrl-f.jpg/215343444/ctrl-f.jpg

Class Reflection:
Clinicals in Labor and Delivery
In clinicals this week I got to see a birth! Like everyone says, it was amazing, literally a miracle. I was right there holding my patient's legs cheering her on the whole time. But what they don't tell you is that it is pretty disgusting.  Sorry if you're a squimish person but to give you the 411 on natural birth, its not too pretty.  There's lots of blood, mucous, and bodily fluids. Worst of all is the smell.  Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to convince anyone against childbirth, but I'm just saying it was really intense. In truth though, when the baby literally pops out (or slides out), it is magical.  Everything stops, and the movies definitely have it right when they show a glowing mother holding her baby, forgeting all about the fact that she has been pushing out this little human for several hours.  The pain is non-existant in her eyes because her goal was met.  When you hear the baby's first cry everything is okay. 
 http://childbirth.amuchbetterway.com/wp-content/themes/tma/images/post/birthprogress390.jpg

Class Topic:
Erognomics
It is all about health and productivity.  It stresses the importance of safe furniture and machines to eliminate repetitive strain injuries in the workplace. For example you can get things like carpal tunnel sydrome, strained backs, arthritis, and chronic pain.  It is pretty simple stuff but super important to be aware of.
http://www.ergonomics-info.com/image-files/desk_ergonomics.jpg

Google Gadget:
Google Books
I am an avid book reader and this tool is amazing.  You literally type in a topic and it lists all known books about that topic.  This is extremely helpful if I'm in the mood to read something specific.  I just type in the subject and instantly have a list of books I will most likely enjoy.
http://www.lindseypollak.com/uploads/2010/05/books-pile.jpg

Favorite Restaurant:
Carrabbas!
I love this place, it is awesome. I'm Italian and I think they serve amazing Italian cuisine. I'm a huge fan of their oven baked pizzas. I would definitely recommend them as well as their seafood dishes. For special occasions this is mine and my boyfriend's go-to place.
http://whatsthaword.com/wp-content/uploads/carrabbas.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Hi Morgan,
    Yeah that short cut is cool, I never used it before, but I can see how it would be handy.

    Childbirth certainly is amazing, I was there for all three of my children. Oddly enough, the thing that got to me the most was the freaking size/length of the epidural needle they used!!! That made me queezy!

    I agree that Carrabba's is really good; I like the smell of the wood burning grill/oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ctrl + F? Where was I when this cool tip was being taught? ha Oh well, what's important is that I now know. Thanks for sharing.
    Childbirth is magical! I was blessed to watch my cousin give birth to her daughter. I was completely in my element with the gross factor, but I understand why some faint!!
    How many clinical rotations have you done? Do you know what area you would like to work in when you graduate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan nice job on the blog. Interesting facts enhanced by visuals! Enjoyed the posts on labor and delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in my second clinical semester. I just finished up at Women and Babies Hospital. I loved it there. I would really like to be a NICU nurse and work with the tiny premature babies.

    ReplyDelete