Thursday, October 20, 2011

Morgan's Blog Week 3

Tech Tip:
Secure Sites
This week I learned about how to know if a site you are on is really secure.  When you look at your URL at the top, if you notice that your http has an S (https) and there is a gold lock to the right of that URL, this is a secure website.

http://www.uaeu.ac.ae/uits/news/2008/images/eservices_https.jpg

Class Reflection:
Women and Babies Hospital

Wednesday was the last day for my clinical rotation at Women and Babies Hospital. Its sad because this was one of my favorite rotations. I want to work in the NICU with premature babies and it was just such a wonderful experience.  Besides seeing hysterectomies and being present for a birth I got to know a bunch of wonderful women, patients and staff.  I realized over my stay that in maternity it is mainly wellness care (healthy people), and I enjoy sickness care (ill people), only because I feel like I am actually helping people.  The babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) cannot tell you what is wrong.  You are there to help them survive. Most of the infants come to the unit weighing in at less than 1 pound!  They can't breath, eat, or even keep their heart working on their own.  Working there I feel like I am making a difference.  Don't get me wrong I loved working in Couplet Care (where healthy mothers and babies stay) but it was kind of boring.  That sounds awful, but you are basically babysitting a mother and child until they are able to go home.  I would rather spend my time fixing someone. Overall I had a wonderful experience at WBH.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/03/18/premie.jpg

Class Topic:
Gerard Donofry

The speaker that came into class was amazing.  First of all he was intelligent and actually knew what he was talking about, second of all he was interesting.  When you find a speaker to talk to a class, you want the students to be interested in what the topic is or they won't learn anything.  He was a legal hacker (didn't even know there was such a thing). He gave us a ton of information and I must say he made me want to go home and buy a Hacking for Dummies Guide.  What I found most interesting was how unsafe the internet is.  I always laugh about how there's "big brother" watching us, but apparently I should be fearful cause they are! He told us that the internet was actually created by the US Military in preparation for a nuclear war! Everything we do on our phones, the internet, etc. is saved and documented.  I have to say its scary stuff.  He did give us some tools though for keeping your computer safe from hackers (the bad kind), which made me feel a little better. He told us that Malwarbytes and Spybot are really good computer security systems. Truecrypt is a free flash drive encryption download. He also told us about patches, which are apparently updates for your computer's protection.  He was a pretty awesome speaker!

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiN19hbNZxXll3HYAtgcIn5XnMjvQBfUAqWcNhoXzttqxPxa736ud48z81IDgZQ9J8VR3DeDMsqVP97bd90sMf7ABjYljGNV9JYSVo2ICAh5rYgJOaZmYITadqn7dYilAN8To3KbCmnBLRw/s1600/hacking-for-dummies.jpg

Classmate:
Madea

I think its awesome how you like to fish.  You don't often hear about girls enjoying fishing.  I used to fish all the time in the Poconos with my cousins when I was little.  I loved it so much but have not done it in years.  Where do you fish?

http://www.crankbaits.biz/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/kids-fishing.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! I like to fish at the river when I go with my dad. I also fish at Lake Redman in York. I used to hate fishing because I thought it was boring, but now I love it!!

    ReplyDelete