Thursday, October 27, 2011

Morgan's Blog Week 4

Tech Tip:
Ctrl + A

I actually found out about this quick key when Mrs. Myers put the hint to highlight everything in our homework assignment (Publisher Reading Guide). This is so helpful and way better than clicking and scrolling down the entire page to highlight your text.  By using Ctrl + A you can immediately highlight the entire page. I love it.

 
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/lifehacker/2009/07/highlighter.jpg

Class Reflection:
Pediatrics

I am now in my Pediatrics rotation in clinical.  Although I was sad to leave Women and Babies Hospital, I love working with little kids.  Its completely different on 3East (Pediatrics).  I'm on evening shift, so I start clinical at 2pm and leave at 9:30pm.  It's a weird adjustment for me because before I was waking up at 5am to get to WBH at 6am, and leaving the hospital at 2:30pm.  I'm finding that I enjoy the evening though.  Its extremely sad seeing the little kids so sick and upset.  The one thing that I found a little disturbing though, were the beds.  the infants and toddlers are in "cribs," but they look more like cages!

http://www.medwow.com/bed-pediatric-c-955-infant-crib.ith18273_180_200.jpg
http://gmpol.com/inventorypics/babycrib1.jpg

Class Topic:
Brochures

This week we learned about using brochures and how to properly get your point across.  We went over how important it is to use white space.  If everything is crammed together it is hard to focus and easy to get confused while reading.  We also discussed the use of visuals along with your information.  If you present your information with just text, the readers will be extremely intimidated.

http://www.etsu.edu/universitypress/Gallery%20images/Nursing_ANP-high.gif

First job:
Waitress

I started working at Isaac's Restaurant and Deli when I was 16.  I started as a deli worker/cook.  I worked there for about two years when I decided that my deli wage wasn't cutting it and decided to learn to waitress.  I was trained and started working part-time waitress and part-time deli worker.  I mainly waitress now but still pick up shifts in deli when they are needed.  I plan to someday soon work in the hospital but right now Isaac's is getting me through nursing school.

http://www.naa-pa.org/spaw2/uploads/images/isaacs.jpg

Major:
Nursing

I chose my major because I've always wanted to help people.  Also almost all my relatives work in the medical field so I have been around the medical field for my entire life.  My mother is a Nurse Practitioner, my father is the Head of Cardiology at Lancaster Regional Hospital, my grandmother is a Nurse Anesthetist, and my uncle is a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner. I had shadowed all of them numerous times throughout my childhood and young adulthood.  Now in school I love nursing even more because I'm getting to experience the real deal.  In clinicals we get to work with nurses and assist them in their everyday workings.
Registered Nurse
http://esalaryresearch.com/registered-nurse-salary/

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your whole family is into Nursing! You will be a good nurse!
    Believe it or not, I actually have never been to Isaac's. I always thought they are no better than McDonald's, and junk food does not appeal to me. What kind of food do they serve at Isaac's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we are not only known for our famous grilled sandwiches, but we also have homemade soups, awesome salads, and a bunch of kids meal options. We also have a ton of vegetarian and gluten-free foods. I'm not trying to sell it to you but I literally eat their all the time. Isaac's keeps me fed during the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Morgan,
    Your tech-tip is excellent, simple but very helpful. It has been saving me a lot of time doing our reading guides and projects in this class.
    You seem enthusiastic about Issac's which is nice to see. I managed Olive Gardens for a while, and I know all the challenges involved! So what is your favorite sandwich that you can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pheonix! Its ham, mayonaise, pineapple, and melted provolone cheese on pretzel bread.

    ReplyDelete